Brushing our teeth is something we do everyday, twice a day (right!?). If we’re not careful, it’s easy to fall into a routine of bad habits. Using correct brushing techniques is crucial to the health and appearance of your smile.
The Toothbrushing Dos:
- Technique: Tilt the brush at a 45-degree angle against the gum line and brush using small circles.
- 2 Minutes: Use the timer on your phone or listen to a favorite song while brushing to make sure you brush for two full minutes.
- Twice a Day: Brush your teeth in the morning and at bedtime.
- Replace Your Toothbrush: The ADA recommends buying a new toothbrush every 3-4 months. It’s also important to change your toothbrush after being sick.
The Toothbrushing Don’ts:
- Refrain from Aggressive Brushing: Avoid brushing with a hard-bristled toothbrush or using excessive force.
- Don’t Brush Immediately After Eating: Wait at least 30 minutes after you’ve eaten a meal to brush your teeth. It’s better to rinse your mouth out with water or chew sugarless gum.
- Don’t Ignore the Rest of Your Mouth: Don’t ignore your tongue! 90% of bad breath is due to a dirty tongue. Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper.
- Don’t Skip Your Appointment: Professional checkups and cleanings are the easiest and best way to avoid dental problems in the future.
Dr. Peter Merai‘s staff is very well trained to demonstrate the proper ways of brushing and to explain the benefits of good oral hygiene to help eliminate the chance of gum disease. Comprehensive Dental Care of Oxon Hill is currently accepting new patients, please call (301) 567-9844 to schedule a consultation or exam with Dr. Peter Merai. We also have several online offers, including a new patient special.
Comprehensive Dental Care of Oxon Hill serves the communities of Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, Clinton, Fort Washington, MD, Alexandria, VA and Washington DC.